WHY THIS MADE THE CUT
We included this recipe because so many of our plant-curious friends claimed they simply couldn’t live without eggs in the morning. In addition to tasting remarkably like scrambled eggs, turns out that tofu is packing just as much protein as eggs do (sans the cholesterol) and it's just as quick to make. If you think plant-based alternatives won’t satisfy, you’re in for a pleasant surprise.
- Tofu (extra firm)
- Black salt (also known as Himalayan black salt, it’s actually a dull pinkish color)
- Turmeric (mostly for color)
- Non-dairy cheese
Some familiar foods have simple plant-based substitutes, eggs are not one of them. At least that’s what we thought before discovering what a little black salt and turmeric does to crumbled tofu. Simply toss in whatever other ingredients you normally add to your scrambles - that’s it!
- Cook tofu - Heat up a frying with a little oil then add crumbled tofu. This doesn’t take long as you essentially only need to heat it up.
- Add black salt to taste - This is where the egg flavor and smell come from.
- Add turmeric - A little goes a long way. Remember goal is only to give the dish some yellow color.
- Add whatever other optional ingredients you like. Our favorite combo is onions, peppers and non-dairy cheese.
PLANT60 APPROVED RECIPES
Looking to step up your tofu scramble game even more?! Well we have you covered. Check out this dope recipe from Hot For Food. We bet you'll dig.
Here's another super simple, yet super dope, Tofu Scrambled "Eggs" recipe from Fork & Beans. We urge you to give it a gander.