WHY THIS MADE THE CUT
Oatmeal is a nutritious filling breakfast packed with vitamins, antioxidants and fiber. If that weren’t enough, it’s also been found to lower cholesterol and help regulate blood sugar. Whether you take the time to cook up steel-cut oats on the stovetop or you’re microwaving instant oatmeal, this is an easy breakfast staple that anyone can whip up. Sprinkle on some fresh fruit or granola and you’re getting your day started right.
- Nuts (almonds, walnuts, peanuts)
- Seeds (sunflower, pepitas, hemp, chia, flax, pomegranate)
- Dried or fresh berries (blueberries, strawberries, cranberries, cherries, blackberries, bananas)
- Coconut flakes
Great thing about oatmeal is you don’t need to be a classically trained chef to make a great tasting bowl. Feeling lazy? Toss some instant oats in the microwave. Have the time and inclination to do something fancier? Boil some steel-cut oats on the stovetop and top with homemade granola. Get creative with the toppings and you’ll never get tired of this tried-and-true plant-based staple.
- Cook oats - If you have the time boil steel-cut oats on the stovetop otherwise instant oats are fine.
- Add toppings - Up to you what direction to go. One of our favorite combos is fresh berries and a sprinkling of whatever nuts/seeds are in the pantry. Doesn’t get much easier than that.
PLANT60 APPROVED RECIPES
Peep this how-to video from one of our favorite vegans in the game, Maddie Lymburner. You'll be an oatmeal master in less than 4 minutes!
We highly recommend checking out this 5-Minute Oatmeal Power Bowl from Oh She Glows. Oh it's dope!
Are you game for some Cinnamon Oatmeal? This recipe from Well Vegan has 3 simple ingredients.
Oatmeal doesn't always have to be sweet. This Savory Golden Oatmeal recipe by From My Bowl is a perfect way to start your day.